Bangor 2 – 1 Loughgall | Loughgall Football Club

Bangor 2 – 1 Loughgall

Loughgall boss Brian Adair cut an extremely disappointed figure as two late goals saw his side come away from the Bangor Fuels Arena with nothing to show for their efforts.

Warner Mullen had netted his first goal in Loughgall colours with a delightful chip from 25 yards in the 50th minute, but two goals in the final five minutes from Richard Gibson and Andrew Hall saw the Seasiders collect all three points to move top of the Belfast Telegraph Championship 1 table.

There were three changes from last week’s home draw with local rivals Armagh City as Stephen O’Neill was sidelined with injury. Conor McMenamin and Mark Stewart dropped to the bench as Ricky Copeland, Andy Smith and Warner Mullen replaced the trio.

Neither side threatened much throughout a goalless first period except in a period of 60 seconds when both sides had a great chance apiece.

Firstly, on 32 minutes, Jordan Forsythe crossed towards the back post where Ethan Boylan really should have done better with his weak header from close range that was easily held by Loughgall ‘keeper Gareth Buchanan.

Then away striker Mullen threaded a great pass for Daniel Burns to run onto. Goalkeeper Paul Cairnduff did well racing out to block Burn’s run however he lost sight of the loose ball. Burns picked up the ball, evaded Cairnduff, but could only strike his effort over the crossbar with a defender on the goal line.

Forward Mullen opened the scoring when he chipped Cairnduff, who was off his line, from 25 yards. His effort struck the crossbar and onto the goal line before coming back into play however the Assistant Referee ruled it had crossed the line.

As Bangor looked for a quick reply they struggled to break down a resolute Loughgall defence and so were reduced to set-pieces. Paul McDowell and William McBurney both flashed well-struck free-kicks from 20 yards however Buchanan was equal to both efforts.

The Seasiders levelled three minutes before the end with a fantastic curling effort from substitute Richard Gibson. He picked up a pass on the right-hand side of the penalty area before cutting inside to fire inside the far post.

And the winner came in the dying seconds when a cross from the left flank fell nicely for Andrew Hall to strike sweetly on the half-volley beyond Buchanan.

Bangor: Cairnduff, Long (Gardiner 75m), Pike, Youle, Nixon, Walsh, Hall, McBurney, McDowell (Gibson 76m), Boylan, Forsythe. Unused subs: Cooling, Morrow, Gibbons.

Loughgall: Buchanan, Carson, Moffatt, Copeland, Alderdice, Rodgers, Ferguson, Smith, Anderson, Mullen (McMenamin 89m), Burns. Unused subs: Kingsberry, Stewart.