Loughgall 0 – 1 Glebe Rangers | Loughgall Football Club

Loughgall 0 – 1 Glebe Rangers

Adam McCart’s late strike saw Glebe collect all three points for only the third time this season, and also inflict Loughgall’s second successive league defeat for only the first time since October.

Boss Colin Malone made one change to his starting line-up from last week’s loss at the hands of league leaders Ballinamallard United as Chris Hull replaced makeshift central defender Paul Keenan.

The first period saw little fluent attacking play from either side; the visitors came close after 11 minutes when Ryan Marks driven free-kick from 25 yards was parried by goalkeeper Marc Robinson.

Loughgall tested Rangers ‘keeper Matt McGraw on 33 minutes when smart interchange between Dale Malone and Aaron Willis allowed the former to get a strike on target.

Glebe should have opened the scoring on 38 minutes when the alert Nigel Turner dispossessed Loughgall captain Steven Ferguson in midfield before racing through on goal. Turner ignored the option of passing inside to strike partner Tommy Elder in favour of going alone and he saw his shot well saved by ‘keeper Robinson.

The visitors did have the ball in the Loughgall goals following a sharp attack on the stroke of half-time however it was adjudged to be offside. Turner evaded an initial offside appeal to break through the home defence, bearing down on goal he was denied by a fantastic save by Robinson that sat up nicely for Elder to nod home from close range albeit from an offside position.

Loughgall put in a much improved performance in the second half, and even threatened to snatch the win after creating a few goalscoring chances. One of which came on 74 minutes when Stephen Doyle’s set-up for Jeff Brady saw the left-back blaze over from the edge of the penalty area.

A quick break with two minutes remaining saw Doyle play an incisive pass in for Ferguson, through on goal with ‘keeper McGraw outrushing, who couldn’t control the pass before Malone following-up was quickly closed down.

One minute later Glebe were reduced to ten men when Owen Moody, only on the field for 29 minutes as a substitute, was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge.

Nonetheless Rangers pressed for a late winner and received their rewards in the fourth minute of injury time as a corner delivery fell kindly for McCart, 15 yards from goal, to hit a great shot into the corner of the net.

Loughgall: Robinson, Hall, Brady, Stewart, Hull, Willis (Blevins 74), Hawthorne, Ferguson, Malone, S Doyle, Pedlow(Hylands 74m). Unused sub: N Doyle.
Glebe Rangers: McGraw, Forgrave, Morrison, Sheppard, Rice, McCart, Marks, Kennoway, Turner (Moody 60m), Elder, McAllister (Parkhill 70m). Unused sub: Tannahill.