Dungiven Celtic 1 – 3 Loughgall | Loughgall Football Club

Dungiven Celtic 1 – 3 Loughgall

A double from Alain Emerson and Stephen Doyle’s 4th goal in 5 games was enough to see off the challenge of Dungiven Celtic in the Coca-Cola Intermediate Cup R3.

The Villagers were without goalkeeper Marc Robinson, after his injury sustained during the warmup before last week’s win over Banbridge Town, meaning reserve stopper Symon Ferguson was named in nets. Boss Colin Malone made two other changes with Chris Hull replacing Mark Stewart in defence, and new signing Mark Carson replaced Dale Malone on the right flank.

The opener came after only 11 minutes when Alain Emerson directed Stephen Doyle’s left-wing cross inside the post for his 15th goal of the season.

Loughgall played some excellent football during the first half as they looked to put the game beyond doubt early on but they had to wait until just before the break for Emerson to put his side into a two-goal lead. On 39 minutes, Mark Carson floated in a corner that was met by the midfielder to confidently head home.

Loughgall continued to impress early in the second half as on 49 minutes excellent running by substitute Paul Keenan ended with him pulling the ball back for Emerson who found Doyle at the back post to slot home.

Celtic pulled a goal back two minutes later as a long ball down the right flank allowed Mehal Anderson to slip the ball past outrushing ‘keeper Symon Ferguson. Neither side really created any clearcut chances throughout the remainder of the game although ‘keeper Ferguson produced an excellent save to deny Stephen O’Kane’s close-range header, and Greg Hall cleared off the goalline in injury time.

Loughgall: Symon Ferguson, Hall, Brady, King, Hull, Emerson, Steven Ferguson, Hawthorne, Carson (Malone 59m), Doyle (Pedlow 59m), Guy (Keenan 45m). Unused sub: Stewart.

Dungiven: McDermot, J McNicholl, McMacken, E O’Kane, C McNicholl, Anderson, McGuigan, Boyd, S O’Kane, Boyle, D O’Kane. Subs: McGuigan, McLaughlin, McCloskey.