Glentoran 3 – 1 Loughgall | Loughgall Football Club

Glentoran 3 – 1 Loughgall

Loughgall’s Irish Cup dreams are over after falling to a 3-1 reversal at the hands of Glentoran in the 6th Round clash at the Oval.  However the Villagers put in a tireless performance and manager Niall Currie can be proud of their showing against the Glens.

Andy Waterworth fired the hosts in front on 24 minutes with a smart sliding finish from David Howland’s incisive pass.

On the half hour, Glentoran were denied a second when Michael McGovern’s cross was controlled by Daryl Fordyce who teed up Richard Clarke and the tricky midfielder worked space inside the penalty area for a low shot that goalkeeper Marc Robinson superbly saved with his legs.

The Villagers levelled just before the break when Peter McNeill’s passed into Daniel Ryan, at the byline, and the winger squared across goal for Shea McGerrigan to convert from close range.

Loughgall came close five minutes into the second half when Alan Murphy flicked Andy Smith’s corner on and McNeill’s attempt to force the ball home from close range was thwarted by ‘keeper Elliot Morris’ reaction save on the goal line.

The Glens were back in front on 62 minutes when referee Brian Turkington ruled that Andy Smith felled Waterworth inside the penalty area.  Waterworth stepped up and calmly slotted the ball home for his second goal of the game.

The win was secured with Matty Burrows played an excellent ball to fellow substitute Peter Steele, who evaded Alan Murphy and chipped over the outrushing ‘keeper Robinson to cap a quick breakaway.

In the final stages, substitute Stephen McCain chipped an inch-perfect ball over the Glentoran defence, which was expertly controlled by McNeill, however the forward couldn’t match it with the finish as he fired narrowly wide.

Loughgall: Robinson, Ferguson, Carville, Peden, Murphy (Coleman 87m), Smith, Ryan (Baird 77m), Cullen (McCain 86m), Bloomer, McNeill, McGerrigan.  Unused subs: McCullough, Kernaghan.

Glentoran: Morris, Nixon (Steele 45m), Clarke, Leeman, Ward, Waterworth, Fordyce, Callacher (Burrows 63m), Hill, McGovern, Howland.  Unused subs: Gawley, Taylor, Gardiner.

Referee: Brian Turkington